Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Is ADD a gift or not? The proof is "IN THE PUDDING"

Well that's a silly title to a post about the ongoing debate about ADD being a "Gift" to a person with ADD/ADHD! Well look who's writing it! lol. Nuff said about how weird I am, so I will explain>

When I was first dx w/ADD, I only knew what the letters stood for. And so, ok thats me for sure. I started taking the meds and it made a big difference right away. Not so much to me, but my wife and other ppl that knew me, noticed I was paying attn. better, and could go get something without stopping and fixing every little thing I saw on my way, not even remembering what I was going to get.(does this sound familiar?) Then when they pointed that out to me, thats when I started noticing it!

I was dx'ed and taking meds for quite awhile before I started searching the web about ADD, and found some sights that talked about ADD being a gift. It said things about being endowed with some gifts that I had, like fixing or seeing an obvious solution to things quickly that others could'nt do or see! So WOW! I'm a freekin genius! I have all these intellecual thoughts speeding through my mind! Then after awhile, I came down to earth and started seeing the road I had been walking down, for most of my life.

These "speeding thoughts" racing through my mind. Thats always bothered me my whole life. What good is something that has only caused me to interupt ppl, keep me awake at night, make serious decisions quickly,and regret them later? Thats only the tip of the iceberg, about how these "gifts" have controled me.

I like pudding. So I will make some occasionaly. If I forget to put the right ingredients in it, it dose'nt taste good. If I fix it right it will taste great! But it's still pudding, no matter what, and it's not a healthy food.

5 comments:

  1. Them's fightin' words Scott...pudding is perfect, what did pudding ever do to you!? I love pudding, I don't care what you say...pudding is a health food...it is delicious, therefor it is good for me.

    I know ADHD is annoying as heck...I do have moments where I can see that my brain's unique pathways are helpful. These don't outweigh the inconveniences, which is why I will never be all on the greener side of the ADHD gift theory...but they're there, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a very good point, when you put it that way Katy. It is healthy to enjoy things, rather than look at the dark side. There are moments when I have a bit of satifaction, and see the results of an idea put into action.

    That idea came from my over-active mind. But it is a great confidence booster, when it works as planned. I could have titled this post "The proof is in whatever has turned green and fuzzy in my fridge". And then talk about how I just cut the green stuff off whatever it was. Then taste it and see if I could tell what it is..LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, I wrote a comment, selected a profile, hit the button to post, and then was told I didn't own my identity and the comment vanished. Is losing my identity an ADD symptom?

    I like the pudding analogy, except for me it's ice cream. When you have diabetes and heart disease, ice cream has a dark side. But it's still just as good.

    I'm hitting the comment button now. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mark! It worked! Thanks for the comment!

    I know a little about diabetes (I'm type 2 and take 2 metformin a day), I found out I had it about 6yrs ago. Watched carbs and portions, went from 200 lbs-160 lbs, but it took me a couple yrs.

    Mom passed in 2005 from congestive heart failure. The weird thing about that is she was always skinny her whole life. But she smoked and was a daily drinker.

    Ironic is, I gave up drinking, over a yr. before I was DX'ed diabetic. Heart is ok for now if I take blood pressure pills(in addition to all the other pills for other crap..lol). But I am also 49 Mark, and still goin'.

    Your blog http://markheath.wordpress.com/ is great! I look foward to reading/commenting there. Thanks showing me you understand my pudding mind..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, twenty or so years ago, I tackled it: ate right, walked every day, and I lost about 40 pounds; I was able to stop taking insulin-enhancing pills. A few years later I found the missing weight. I'm hoping that I'll be able to reorganize my life once again as I get the ADD under control and lose weight/eat right.

    But I'm not giving up my pudding.

    ReplyDelete