Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hold on! Not So Fast!

As I try to find the words to use for my next (this) post about my Neuropsychological Evaluation, and how it resulted in an ADHD clinical profile. I find it is hard for me to truly accept some of the written words on the evaluation. There are 33 seperate "ASSESSMENT PROCEDURES" btw, but one was the Conners' Performance Test-II. The exact words of Dr.Ruwe were: "Overall, his response profile revealed impulsivity, viligance or sustained attention limitations.This classification is made with a high degree of confidence(i.e.,the chances are approximately 83 out of 100 that a clincally significant problem exists)."

The words "significant problem" just don't seam to go with "83 out of 100" to me. Does this mean there is a 17% chance that I am ok? I have more work that I need to do (reading,searching,ect..) before I can continue to post on this subject. If I want to help anyone with this blog, I need to get the facts straight on this. If I have a "significant problem", what good can I do and why would anyone want to trust a man with a "significant problem"?

I know this sounds like I am giving up, but I'm not giving up, and I will have more post's on my blog.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Scott. I really don't understand the point of so many of those assessments.

    I much prefer Dr. Parker's methods of assessment, because they are based on physical data.

    I guess these tests can be useful, used by a savvy clinician who also knows how to treat. But, IMHO, of limited value in and of themselves.

    And of course you're not just 17% okay. You're 1001% okay!


    g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina! There are many contradictions in this evaluation. One test shows high levels of anxiety,depression,and so on..Another shows only mildy elevated of the same. But Dr.Rowe does add:"Associated with his current circumstances".

    So yeah,duh. That was 11/19/2007, and of course I was a bit stressed and concerned about the events had been going in our(Carolyn and myself)lives so suddenly. I wasn't there because everything was oki-doki up in the ole' brain.lol..

    You have seen how I have improved in allot of ways after I started taking the meds prescribed by Dr.Pardo, and searching for answers about why our brains work the way they do.

    You,Jeff,Betsy and Dr.Parker(to name a few) can take allot of credit for my improvement, by being patient enough listen and understand that I am just trying to find answers. That may not only help me, but help others that are as confused as I am about why the brain does what it does. One thing I do know is the more I use my brain and learn, the stronger it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott -- I don't know what happened. I was signed up for your blog updates (I thought) but now I see that I wasn't! My apologies.

    You have been such a great support to me. We all help each other when we can, eh? It's a wonderful thing for a bunch of strangers....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina, Don't worry about not realizing you are signed up. I'm hoping this reply will even be posted on my own blog here..lol. I think it has something to do with this laptop and not being able to reply...yet I can still publish and post my articles...

    Yep, we all do help each other by posting the things we learn about how the human brain works>Science,Psychology,Physiology and more play such an important role in human behaviour that no one person can do it alone and find all the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I see it worked by selecting Name/URL. :)

    ReplyDelete